Here are our favorite interesting facts about Uruguay:
1. Uruguay is the smallest Spanish speaking country in South America
2. The name Uruguay comes from the Guaraní word for the Uruguay River, which means “river of the painted birds”
3. Uruguay is the biggest consumer of beef in the world, and 9.6% of Uruguay’s land is used for sheep and cattle farming.
4. 100% of Uruguay’s electricity comes from renewable sources
5. Uruguay is one of the global leaders for LGBTQIA+ rights, progressive legislation has paved the way to promoting inclusion and reducing discrimination for the country’s LGBTQIA+ community.